April 27, 2011

Sacrifice in Christian Fantasy: Cliché?

1271462_cross

Today I thought I’d write a little about something that has been on my mind lately. Ever since C.S. Lewis’ wonderful illustration of sacrifice in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Christ-like sacrifices can be found all over in Christian fantasy. From a writing standpoint, it would seem this subject has become cliché. I’ve read so numerous times. However, I must respectfully disagree. Jesus’ death is the very center of what we believe, and the center of the message to tell through Christian fiction. To look at an illustration of His death as cliché, and to avoid it for being overdone, just doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe some of it depends on how well it is written and portrayed, but even if it doesn’t hold up to great telling’s like those of C.S. Lewis, I don’t think it should be looked down on. Christ’s sacrifice is our foundation. Shouldn’t we be reminded over and over again what He did for us?

 

Photo Copyright Billy Alexander

0 comments: